Accounts, Tax and VAT infoblog! -

Sage tips and advice

August 4, 2009

Correcting an error on Sage – Journal entries

Ok, so you have discovered that you have made an error on Sage.  Imagine you made a bank transfer from your current account to your deposit account, except that instead of entering £100 into Sage you have managed to enter £1,000, what can you do?

Well if you have tried to change the error by using ‘File Maintenance’ then you may be frustrated to find that Sage will not let you change the amount from £1,000 back to £100, why not?

Well the reason for this is that certain transactions on Sage are made via a ‘Journal entry’ rather than the usual ‘bank payment’ or ‘customer invoice’ etc. If you look in the ‘type’ column next to the incorrect entry you should find the code ‘JC’ or ‘JD’.  These codes refer to a ‘Journal credit’ or a ‘Journal debit’.

If the error you are trying to correct has a ‘JD’ or ‘JC’ code then Sage does not let you alter this transaction using ‘File maintenance’.

So how can we correct this mistake on Sage?  Simple, first write down the exact details of the original transaction, date, amount, nominal account numbers etc.  Then you need to enter a ‘Journal’ for the exact opposite amounts on the same date and to the same accounts.  This will reverse out the original entry and get you back to a position as if the incorrect journal had never happened.

Using our original example you would do as follows:

Original error:

1 June 2009 Debit (JD) deposit account £1,000

1 June 2009 Credit (JC) current account £1,000

To reverse the above enter:

1 June 2009 Debit (JD) current account £1,000

1 June 2009 Credit (JC) deposit account £1,000.

As the entry is a bank transfer then you can enter this via the ‘Transfer’ button in the ‘Bank’ module.

You can now enter the correct transfer of £100 on the correct date of 1 June 2009.

If you need to enter a standard journal to correct an error then go to ‘Company’, then nominal ledger then select the ‘Journals’ button.

1. Sometimes it’s really that simple, isn’t it? I feel a little stupid for not thinking of this myself/earlier, though.

Comment by Roulette-Muellerson — August 24, 2009 @ 4:07 pm
  2. I have problem with Sage 100 Accounting: It’s always display Index error. each time i tried getting Journal
    Please tell me the problem, and how to correct it.

Comment by Andrew Co — March 24, 2010 @ 12:41 pm
  3. Thank you for your question.

Your question has roamed from the normal accounting area into a more IT technical area. I have not experienced this particular error, so you may need to contact Sage as they will know what their error messages mean and should be able to help fix it.

Dave

Comment by admin — March 24, 2010 @ 12:58 pm
  4. Hi
    I am in a new position, which I am to enter depreciation via jornal entries, sage version is 11, I have tried following the procedure in sage help, by doing the month end and ticking the depreciation box, but then the depreciation does not show on my report (profit & loss)
    Please help…

Also I have now come across errors on my check data, I have rolled back to last week before the blip in the electrics happended, my sage now says no errors, however once I enter any data erros occur immediately when I run check data. Can you help?

Many thanks
    Tricia

Comment by Tricia D'Ambrogio — June 10, 2010 @ 1:33 pm
  5. Hi Tricia.

Firstly, if the month end is not working correctly, it would be simpler to do a manual journal for depreciation each month. The journal will usually be the same each month and a ‘normal’ journal will definitely show up on your Profit and Loss account. Other than that I’m not exactly sure what is not working without actually have a look at your Sage data.

(The only other thing work checking is that the chart of accounts on Sage includes the depreciation nominal codes)

The second problem sounds fiddly?! Power cuts can corrupt data files sadly……Also what are the errors exactly? You may need to speak to Sage to have this error sorted as I don’t know too much about the I.T side of things….more how it all works accountancy wise…sorry

Kind regards

Dave

Comment by admin — June 29, 2010 @ 10:48 pm
  6. hello

i have a problem with sage v12 in which i have tried to do vat and have entered invoices which i wanted to delete but reversed by mistake and now the vat /sales/ shows the reversed transaction which increased the amount? what can i do to delet the reversed transaction and the original entry?

help!!

Comment by mahut — July 30, 2010 @ 9:59 pm
  7. Hello

To delete the incorrect transactions you need to go to ‘File’ then ‘Maintenance’ then go to ‘Corrections’

Here you will need to find the incorrect transactions using either the date or the transaction number.

Once you have found the transactions, delete the invoices. You can now enter the invoices correctly. When you now run the VAT you should only see the correct transactions.

Kind regards

Dave

Comment by admin — August 2, 2010 @ 3:45 pm

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.